I always told myself to make a batch of healthy muffins for easy grab and go breakfasts. That was the one thing, though, that always fell to the very bottom of the to-do list and was never accomplished.
Once I came across Cassie's recipe for her banana muffins, I knew that recipe was at the top of the coming weekend's list! I knew we'd love them and they looked so easy.
When I initially made these I never intended to blog about them. Afterall, I only made a few tweaks to Cassie's original recipe. The idea was all hers. I only snapped a few pics for sharing on Instagram. But when changed my grab-and-go breakfast world, I thought I'd share here too to convince you to let some bananas brown on the counter, pour a splash of Almond Breeze Almond Milk with a Hint of Honey into the batter and bake up a batch for yourself.
Whole Wheat Banana Muffins with Hemp Seed Streusel
Adapted from Back to Her Roots
1/2 cup organic butter, melted
1/3 cup turbinado sugar
2 very brown bananas, mashed
2 heaping tsp applesauce (I used my homemade that has a small amount of brown sugar and a little cinnamon in the batch)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup Almond Breeze almond milk with honey
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 cups white whole wheat flour
3 tbsp brown sugar, not packed
4 tbsp white whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup hemp seeds
3 tbsp organic butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12 cup muffin tin with butter, coconut oil, or non-stick spray.
2. Mix together butter, sugar, bananas, egg, vanilla, and Almond Breeze almond milk in a large bowl.
3. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, flour to the wet ingredients until just combined. Don't overmix.
4. Add batter to muffin tins filling full so you get full muffins with the muffin top.
5. To make the streusel, mix together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, hemp seeds, and butter.
6. Sprinkle streusel generously over the muffin batter.
7. Bake for about 18-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
This post is sponsored by Almond Breeze. All opinions are my own.
What is your favorite grab and go breakfast?