Broccoli Cheese Soup
Adapted from Food.com
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 medium chopped onion
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 lb fresh broccoli
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
Sauté onion in butter. Set aside.
Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.
- Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
Add salt and pepper. Can be puréed in a blender but I don't. Return to heat and add cheese. Stir in nutmeg.
I hope everyone has a very happy Thanksgiving! As you are reading this I am mostly likely frantic in the kitchen as I prepare my family's Thanksgiving meal! Like I said last week, it would only take a short time for me to have my OCD lists compiled. Aren't they pretty ;)
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!