First, whip the butter for a few minutes. It will get light and fluffy.
Adapted from Savory Sweet Life
- 1 cup salted butter (2 sticks or 1/2 pound), softened (but not melted!) Ideal texture should be like ice cream.
- 3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- up to 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream (I used milk)
- Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time.
**The original recipe called for unsalted butter and 1/4 teaspoon butter. Instead, I used salted butter and omitted the salt.
**I 1 1/2 this recipe. My final measurements were 3 sticks of butter and 4 1/2 cups of powdered sugar.